Google

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Ten Years Of Rambling.

It was ten years ago, on Tuesday, May 4, 2004, that this blog began.  I started it on a whim, with no real goal in mind, and no specific idea for what I'd write.  I'd heard about blogging and decided to give it a try.  I had no expectation I'd be still be writing here ten years later.  As I've mentioned before I wrote a lot more in the early years of the blog then I have subsequently.  In the first two and a half years I wrote more than a thousand posts.  For whatever reason my output dropped greatly in 2007 and never went back to those early levels.

I've never had a lot of traffic here.  For me a fifteen visitor day is a good day.  I don't get the impression I get many regular visitors.  Yet that hasn't stopped me.  I would imagine a lack of response is what kills a lot of blogs.  And I've continued to write through what must be at least a half dozen cycles of "blogging is dead" talk.

Other than a few test posts everything I've posted here remains up.  A lot of older posts obviously contain dead links, but that serves as a snapshot of what the Internet was like in times past.  More importantly I've never removed anything on the basis of its content.   There are ideas found in some posts that I wouldn't write now because my attitudes have changed, but I'm not going to remove them simply because they might make me look bad. 

Will I still be doing this ten years from now?  I haven't got a clue.  Ten years is way too long a time for me to make predictions about myself.  The world changes a lot in a year, so even predicting what I'll be doing on Tuesday, May 4, 2015 would be silly.  But I certainly have no intent of stopping anytime in the near future. 

And now, time to celebrate with a celebratory double chocolate donut from Tim Hortons and a Coke Zero.

No comments: