Google

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Epidemic Spreads.

Wow, I didn't know it was this bad.  I've previously commented on Hollywood's current bout of remakeitis.  But I didn't realise that there are apparently some 75 remakes and reboots currently in production or development.  Most of those listed are movies, but a few are TV series.  Some really leave me scratching my head, like the remakes of David Cronenberg's The Brood and Videodrome.  Cronenberg's vision is rather personal, so it's hard to see the point of someone else attempting it.  Others, like proposed new Daredevil and Fantastic Four movies, are apparently little more than attempts to make sure someone else doesn't end up with the rights to the properties.  And is anyone really clamouring for a remake of Drop Dead Fred?  Of course someone actually managed to convince the studio bosses that a new version of Red Dawn was a good idea, despite the premise being even more ridiculous than it was way back in 1984, so Drop Dead Fred isn't much of a leap.  But it seems to me that they're missing some opportunities.  I'm sure the rights to the Ma and Pa Kettle franchise are available for very cheap.  Hmmm, any aspiring Spielberg want to team up with me and give it a shot?

No comments: