Google

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Currency Caution.



















At first glance this might look like a Canadian two dollar coin, commonly called a toonie. It's not. It's actually a Dominican Republic 10 peso coin. At some point in the last couple of days I received this in change, and only found out I didn't have 2 bucks when I tried to use it to buy a drink this morning. I have no idea if this was circulated deliberately or not, but it's something to watch out for. It's easy to mistake it for a Canadian coin as the basic design is near identical, with only the marking differing. If someone is using these deliberately they're getting a good deal on their pseudo-counterfitting, as one Canadian dollar is currently worth approximately 31 Dominican pesos.
If you've had a similar problem in Saskatoon or elsewhere feel free to leave a comment to this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experienced the same problem in Toronto. Received a Dominican 10 peso in my change thinking it was a toonie and put it in my pocket. I went to photocopy something and the coin was not accepted. Wondering why I looked more closely and it was not a toonie but a 10 peso from the Dominican.

Anonymous said...

this is the second time I found the DR coin in my change - i think it happening too ofter - watch your change folks!! fr. Kelowna BC