Google

Saturday, June 10, 2006

The First Steps

Having signed up for PokerStars.com's World Blogger Championship of Online Poker I've spent the last couple of days playing on the free section of the website. As you can imagine given that I'd never played a hand of poker before Thursday I'm a long way from being much of a threat to Howard Lederer or Doyle Brunson, but I'm figuring out things a bit. Tonight I impressed myself by entering a "freeroll" tournament(ie one that does not require any money to enter) on the site and coming in 2773th out of 5563. (Thanks for the tips, Brent.)

Its a good thing that they do offer free tables. I'm no where near ready to be wagering actual money, even on the ultracheap tables they offer. If you're considering checking out the online poker world I'd strong advise you not to play with real money without first building up some experience. Its not hard to get into a bad groove and burn off all your chips in a short period of time, especially if you're inexperienced at poker in general. You'll find that the ethical poker websites actually have limits of how much money you can put into an online account to play poker in any one day, week, month etc., so its obvious they realise this can be a problem too.

No comments: